**To comment please enable third-party cookies in your browser settings.**

Monday, September 19, 2011

Why Detroit?


Why Detroit?  I get that question all the time.  People are amazed that I've chosen to set up shop here and that I want to stay here and make a difference.  There are even people who live here that don't understand it.  I'm on a mission to change that.


My answer is simple.  I believe there is no better place on planet Earth right now to be an entrepreneur, or anyone looking to launch a new idea.  This city is ripe for creativity, innovation, and development.  The barriers to entry really don't exist.  The talent of the people here is strong.  The drive and commitment to revitalize is greater than most other places.  The energy level of the people, the heartbeat of the city is tremendous.  We had over 200 ideas submitted to the Hatch Detroit Retail Business Contest!


If you don't believe me, spend an early morning down at Eastern Market on Saturday (my favorite place to be in Detroit).  Grab lunch at Traffic Jam & Snug in Midtown during the work week.  Hit up Roast downtown for drinks at Happy Hour.  Take a stroll along the RiverWalk or run around Belle Isle on a Sunday morning.  These are just a few examples, there are literally hundreds more I could have used.
  
The status quo is changing.  Revitalization is churning.  It's not going to happen overnight,  and the process will be slow, but it's coming.  Get on board!  What do you think?  Do you agree?  Do you disagree?  Do you think I'm insane?  

7 comments:

  1. I must agree with your sentiments regarding the 313! ;-) I am relocating to the area and I am extremely excited about the opportunity and the change that is going to take place there. I am looking forward to continue my businesses in the area and be apart of the change. I believe there will be others like myself that believe in Detroit and are committed to contribute to create the new 313! Thanks for the post, it encouraging to know I am not alone! I will see you soon! I believe in Detroit! www.tiffanyssmith.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Born in Detroit. Lived here nearly all of 74 years, in the City and Metro. Always have considered it a great place to live and work. As it was a "one-horse" town for most of my life, I'm glad to see it diversifying, painful as that may be. Happy to welcome the new blood that's flowing into our veins, and the sense of community that's growing after many years of divisiveness.

    So welcome all ye of the "Church of What's Happenin' Now." Let's show the rest of the country and Kick Ass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany & Dave,

    Thanks for the kind words, and for taking the time to read my blog post about Why Detroit! It's a great time to be here, and all Detroiters and Detroiters at heart need to work together. I appreciate the support!

    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! I believe in the metaphysical idea that positive thoughts and ideas attract positive results and I can feel that happening here. I think there are enough people on that same wavelength right now that its pulling towards us and headed right our way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great points ted; for someone who has not been to E. Market, they have no idea what they are missing. Love the Hatch Detroit contest; I am pretty tied in and I am shocked that I have not heard of this. I am amazed at the resources that exist that even those of us who keep ears closes to the ground do not know about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chou and tsesti,

    Thank you for checking out my post. The momentum in Detroit right now is overwhelming, and I'm excited about the future! Thanks for checking out Hatch Detroit too, I'm glad you found it!

    Thanks,

    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete